Data Services Manager
TITLE: Data Services Librarian
POSITION TYPE: Faculty
GRADE/RANK: Assistant/Associate Professor
PRIMARY DEPARTMENT: Library and Learning Commons
UNIT: Technical Services
REPORTS TO: Assistant Director – Technical Services
The Data Services Librarian leads, develops, and supports data initiatives at Zayed University. Actively collaborating with faculty and staff within the Library and Learning Commons and with partners throughout the University, the Data Services Librarian guides and expands the Library and Learning Commons’ efforts and leadership role in data management planning, discovery and access of research data, data sharing and publication, and data visualization through effective and robust data-related services to ZU faculty, staff, and students.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
The Data Services Librarian works under the direction of Assistant Director – Technical Services. He/ She exercises general supervision over staff and student assistants.
CRITICAL SUCCESS FACTORS:
• Demonstrated in depth knowledge and experience with data management, curation, and preservation principles and practices in an academic or research environment.
• Ability to work with others in a team environment in a pleasant and open manner.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Tasks and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to the following:
• Develop data services related to the discovery, management, analysis, and visualization of research and other types of data.
• Provide consultations on scholarly publishing and assist researchers on scholarly profiles and identifiers such as ORCID.
• Provide guidance and consultation on research data management plans for grant applications and research projects; and assist researchers in meeting funders’ and/ or publishers’ requirements for research data sharing.
• Promote the awareness of and develop guidelines for open research practices, open access publishing and responsible use of metrics in the assessment of research.
• Develop, provide, and assess services and instructional programming on data-related topics and tools.
• Collaborate with library colleagues and other partners towards implementation and stewardship of data repositories.
• Engage with faculty to integrate information, digital and data literacy concepts and skills into the curriculum.
• Lead the data driven assessment activities of the Library and Learning Commons to enhance the quality of collections and services.
• Develop rapport and work in collaboration with campus partners to support the University’s research and scholarship mission.
• Meet faculty librarian responsibilities, including liaising with designated colleges for collection development, instruction and other professional activities.
Other tasks and responsibilities:
• Actively participate and demonstrate commitment in professional responsibilities that serve the Library, University, profession, and community.
• Actively engage in professional development and participate in scholarship that contributes to professional knowledge. Data Services Manager
• Perform related duties and responsibilities as required.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
• Master’s degree in Library and Information Studies (MLIS) from an ALA-accredited institution or equivalent.
• Minimum of two years professional experience in supporting researchers with data services, including data discovery, data analysis and visualization, and research data management in an academic setting
• Experience with common data management applications used in data analysis and data visualization, such as SAS or SPSS, and willingness to learn new tools as needed Data Services Manager
• Knowledge of open data, open science, data repositories and demonstrate understanding of trends in data management throughout the research lifecycle.
• Demonstrated commitment to principles of diversity and inclusivity.
• Ability to meet the requirements of a faculty position through research, services, publication, and/or professional engagement.
• Able to set and adjust priorities, establish workflows and accept new challenges in order to realize departmental and library goals.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a team member in a diverse and dynamic environment to solve problems Data Services Manager
• Must have strong analytical and organizational skills.
• Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills, including the ability to answer enquiries effectively and to express complex ideas clearly and succinctly both to a research-focused audience and to others.