Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) tactics . Search engine traffic is very action focused, people are “googling” to solve a problem or discover the answer. They are in the mood for information or ready to make a purchase. If you can give them what they want, the following are techniques used to rank higher
Search Engine Optimisation is the process of tweaking your website content with the express purpose of helping search engines understand your website and use website content to answer their users search queries.
The best place to start with search engine optimisation is understanding. It can be a confusing Moverwhelming at first. However, if you invest a little time into SEO learning, your can make better decisions about your websites content direction. Your website will be much better for this planning.
Even if you choose to work with a good Agency you should still understand the basics so you can contribute to the SEO efforts, make sure they are aligned with your business goals and better evaluate the success of the work undertaken.
SEO COMMON WORDS
SEM Search Engine Marketing
SEO Search Engine optimisation
SERP Search engine results page. The list of results that are displayed when you search for something.
Keyword(s) The words you type in the search engine to look for things
Search Phrase Same as keyword
Backlinks Links from other websites back to your site. Search engines use these as a signal that your site has valuable information on it.
Content Silos way of organising pages in a parent/child relationship that makes it easier for the search engines to find related content on your website
On Page optimisation Optimisation tweaks to the content and code on your website pages
Off Page optimisation Optimisation of content and links not on your own website
- your site indexed in search engines?
- your site when you search for keywords that relate to your business
- Who can you find?
This will give you a basic idea of where your website is at from a search engine optimisation point of view. It’s important to set a baseline before making changes. You want to improve in areas where you are weak and build on the strengths you already have.
It’s also helpful to have a look at your competitors who are displayed when you search for keyword phrases related to your business. Have a look at the style of site and what kinds of content they are using. It’s not about copying them, but it can be helpful to give you ideas about what kinds of content work and could be added to your website.
SEO KEYWORD SEARCH
The words and phrases you think of when searching might not be what your customers use.
A good keyword search tool is essential to give you more information about the relative search volumes for particular terms, related keyword searches and the level of competition you face from other websites. We love KW Finder. They have a free offering that is easy to use and provides accurate results in our experience KW Finder will also let you export keyword lists to excel for further commenting.
keyword have a look at the bottom of the SERP’s at the “related searches”. Google is putting these here because it knows other people who searched for your keyword also used these related phrases. They can be good to add to your research list.
Make a list of all of the pages on your website currently.
- Is the content relevant to my target audience?
- Are the SEO keywords from the previous step included in the existing content SEO?
- Is the content logical where it is?
Google is getting better at understanding your page like a human would. Websites with great original content are being rewarded with better search engine rankings. This makes sense if you think about it. Better, more relevant content gets more links from other websites, more shares on social media and engages your audience more. The better the Google search bots become at understanding your content this way, the more you need to consider writing helpful website content that your visitors will want to read.
Content silos are groupings of related content e.g. types of yoga for a yoga practice or individual business service pages grouped under one master services page. Grouping your content together with a parent/child relationship like this can really help Google understand the related content on your site.
Go through the list of pages you made in the previous step and add in new pages. Excel or another spreadsheet tool is great for this. We like to keep track of the pages name, the page’s purpose and the content silo it belongs to (or parent page). We also want to know what keyword(s) we are targeting for that page so we can see that we have all the keywords mapped to appropriate content.
GREATER WEB CONTENTS
Quality Contents is more important, Especially when it comes to blog. You goal is to create content that is super helpful for your target audience, positions you as knowledgeable in your field/business and helps the search engine answer the users query.
- It’s easy once you get in the flow to jot down 20 potential article headings. Then when it comes time to write you have a topic list you can pick from.
- This helps as you can pick up where you left o. It also encourages visitors to read more than one post at a time, building trust in your business all the while.
- if you have already written a series of articles on a topic, could you pull them together into an “ultimate guide” that also links to each individual post? What about an ebook you could use as lead magnet?
- Are there any keywords that you’d like to rank for that aren’t a good fit for your main pages?
- Can you write a client case study? What about a fun story about the company’s origin? Getting into story telling mode can be great for starting the writing flow.
For more great ideas on content creation and content strategy we suggest you visit goodhonestcontent.com
ON PAGE OPTIMISATION
- Make sure you have a good SEO Title that includes the keyword phrase
- Write a meta description that is a good summary of the content of the page and that also contains the keyword. Visitors first introduction to your website is via the search results. Before they’ve even seen your brand, your beautiful website, your lovely images. Craft the SEO title and meta description with care as this is the real introduction to your website.
- Include the keyword phrase in a heading or two.
- Include it in the main copy.
- Avoid “Keyword stuffing”, repeating the keyword too many times. Under 0.4% is low and over 3%ish is starting to be considered stuffing.
- Make sure you have alt tags set on your images, if possible with the keyword or related phrases in them.
- If you use WordPress then installing an SEO tool like Yoast SEO can give you valuable feedback on all these metrics.
Backlinks are links from other websites pointing to your website. Search engines use these links to create a map of influence around the web. If your website has lots of links from other websites then usually that is because the content on your website is valuable. The more influential the site is that links to you the more kudos you get.
Backlinks are an important component of SEO strategy. However it is worth noting that it’s more about quality than quantity. There’s no better backlink strategy than creating amazing content that people want to share.
Here’s an excellent article on modern backlink strategy:
LOCAL SEARCH OPTIMISATION
If you are a local business you want to make sure that you pay attention to a couple of crucial factors:
- Display your phone number with local area code in the header or footer of your site
- Make sure your listed address and phone number match the one you use in local directories
- Make sure you setup a Google My Business listing for your business
PROMOTE CONTENTS ON SOCIAL
Getting ranked highly on google is great but there are other channels that can be excellent resources for generating website traffic. Twitter, Facebook and Linked in are all great sources of traffic if you grow your audience and share interesting content. The best way to use social media is to make sure you also share your hard written website content out to drive traffic back to your website.
Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) tactics Social shares of content are definitely a ranking factor and if you can increase the number of social shares of a piece of content, chances are you are going to improve the search position of that content.
You do have Google analytics or some other statistics/analytics tool setup on your website don’t you? If you don’t, go and do it right now, we’ll wait, Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) tactics
Tracking the results of your efforts is essential. Make a note of dates that you add new content or perform major changes so that you can go through your analytics in the following months and look at the traffic to see the improvements in volume or engagement. Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) tactics
If you’re noticing improvement then congratulations, you’re on the right track, just keep doing more of the same. If you’re not seeing the improvements you’d like after a couple of months then you might need to update your plan. Revisit your keyword research and work through form there to see if there are improvements that can be made.