France World Cup 2022 squad: The full 26-man squad announced for Qatar
France World Cup 2022 squad: The full 26-man squad announced for Qatar The France World Cup 2022 squad will be announced soon, and the selection for September’s Nations League games hints at who might be involved.
The France World Cup 2022 squad has been revealed, and the holders are missing key players such as Paul Pogba and N’Golo Kante.
The France team that won the World Cup in Russia, on the other hand, was a paradox. Detractors accused them of being overly defensive, although they set a knockout record with 11 goals, including four in the final. The detractors slammed him for being overly cautious, yet here’s Benjamin Pavard, sprinting forward from right-back to score FIFA’s Goal of the Tournament in a nonsense 4-3 win over Argentina.
The notion that Les Bleus’ 2018 vintage lacked individuality is incorrect; their identity was to win. They were a chameleon-like team, adopting the proper tactics on a game-by-game basis to go through the rounds, modelled after their manager, serial winner Didier Deschamps.
Since that great day in Moscow, there has been the disappointment of an unexpectedly early Euro 2020 exit, losing on penalties to Switzerland in the last 16, but also a reminder of how excellent France is at their best, winning the Nations League Finals in October. After trailing Belgium 2-0 at halftime in the semi-final before coming back to win 3-2, they recovered from behind again to upset Spain in the Milan showpiece, thanks to goals from Kylian Mbappe and the immortal Karim Benzema, who was recalled from international duty. Victory honed their competitive edge ahead of the big game in Qatar.
Many significant players from last year are still crucial elements of this team. That is understandable given their pedigree, but there is also valid concern that several of those regular starts, to name a few, Raphael Varane, Oliver Giroud, and Antoine Griezmann, are no longer at the elite level required to win back-to-back World Cups. Griezmann, for example, is now almost entirely used as a substitute by Atletico Madrid. Meanwhile, France’s Nations League championship defence has quickly devolved into a relegation fight, with defeats at home and away to Croatia and Denmark.
Against such misgivings, a talented new bunch led by William Saliba and Aurelien Tchouameni may force their way into Deschamps’ starting XI once the action begins. It is the task of the one-time water carrier to strike the proper balance while ensuring results.
Qatar 2022 may represent a passing of the baton for France. Regardless of who they field, they will remain among the favorites.
France World Cup 2022 squad: The full 26-man squad
- GK: Hugo Lloris, Tottenham
- GK: Alphonse Areola, West Ham
- GK: Steve Mandanda, Rennes
- DF: Benjamin Pavard, Bayern Munich
- DF: Jules Kounde, Barcelona
- DF: Raphael Varane, Manchester United
- DF: Theo Hernandez, AC Milan
- DF: Lucas Hernandez, Bayern Munich
- DF: Benoit Badiashile, Monaco
- DF: Ferland Mendy, Real Madrid
- DF: Dayot Upamecano, Bayern Munich
- DF: Ibrahima Konate, Liverpool
- DF: William Saliba, Arsenal
- MF: Eduardo Camavinga, Real Madrid
- MF: Youssouf Fofana, Monaco
- MF: Matteo Guendouzi, Marseille
- MF: Aurelien Tchouameni, Real Madrid
- MF: Adrien Rabiot, Juventus
- MF: Jordan Veretout, Marseille
- FW: Ousmane Dembele, Barcelona
- FW: Olivier Giroud, AC Milan
- FW: Antoine Griezmann, Atletico Madrid
- FW: Karim Benzema, Real Madrid
- FW: Kylian Mbappe, PSG
- FW: Randal Kolo Muani, Eintracht Frankfurt
- FW: Kingsley Coman, Bayern Munich